Pages

07 September 2012

Ten years...

Sunday, September 2nd marked 10 years since I saw my dad. It was such a bittersweet day for me, full of ups and downs. It's bizarre to think of how much he's missed. My 7 year old nephew and 2 year old niece... man, he'd of loved Dylan's sense of humor and Addie would be giving him a run for his money, and that's saying something. Cesar joked on Sunday that he would probably be teasing them with a rolled up newspaper like he did my cats.

When my sister and I talked about what to do on Sunday, we joked about doing Stan things, like buying the kids a kitten to torture my brother-in-law. In the end, we had lunch at one of his favorite spots, The Roadhouse and I celebrated him with his favorite side, the sweet potato.

I wonder if I'll make it through one of these September 2nds without tears. I wonder if I'll stop feeling hurt about those closest to me not checking in or sending a kind word on that day or even this time of year. I wonder what it's like to still have your dad...

2 comments:

DancingMooney said...

My mom lost her dad when she was very young and she just recently said to me that this was the first year the day passed by that it didn't click in her mind, some many years later...

I think a loss like this, especially at such a young age for you both, never really stops hurting, but I hope as your own life evolves, you'll find sadness being replaced with joy and memories when you see yourself or your family, in him.

Hugs to you miss. ♥

Amber said...

Thank you for the sweet words, J. I do have lots of really fun and hilarious memories of him and it's a riot seeing so much of him in my niece.